They have been a constant mainstay of fashion for years and are becoming even more popular among the public today. The main success of their popularity is in their diversity, both in graphic and pattern. The graphic t-shirt has gone from strength to strength.
What makes a good graphic t-shirt is in the understanding of how it applies to certain demographics and where it will be worn. Some designs look great in certain locations, whilst it could be a disaster in others.
With so many variations, it’s easy to find graphic t-shirts that amplify your personality. However, like with any fashion item, choosing the right one can often be a difficult task.
Here are some do’s and don’ts when it comes to choosing yours:
- Experiment with collar types: Like with any clothing, certain ‘looks’ fit better than others, so decide carefully which suits you. Consider v-necks and round necks when trying a range of graphic t-shirts on.
- Consider when and where it will be worn: You’ve seen a graphic t-shirt that’s great, but it’s not suitable to wear at Grandma’s 80th surprise birthday party. The same t-shirt may look brilliant at another party though. The advice is to think about where the graphic t-shirt will be worn.
- Think about branded and non-brand items: Everyone goes through a phase in their lives where a brand ‘needs’ to appear somewhere, or everywhere, on our clothing. In some cases, branding can look brilliant; in others it can look terrible and out of place. So it’s important to consider both branded and non-branded items.
- Is this graphic t-shirt you? Some graphic t-shirts may have a message; others may have a pattern, while others may be simple, and others complicated. With so many styles, it’s important to pick something that shows off your personality, or something about you. Don’t be afraid to make subtle statements.
- Become a victim of fashion: Just because you’ve seen a style that has been featured in the media somewhere, it doesn’t mean that it will suit you. Remember that the graphic should support you, and the type of person that you are.
- Don’t be pressured, from family, friends or the media: Everyone gets this from time to time – peer pressure. “Wear it. It looks so good on you”. We’ve all heard it before. It’s you that has to wear it, parade around in it, and generally feel awful in it. So, if the t-shirt makes you feel negative about yourself, in any way, don’t wear it!
- Be afraid to have your own style: Some people are so quick to follow the latest trend, that they lose their own identity. Don’t be that person. Your individuality is the one thing that is yours, so don’t give it away all because some guy on a magazine cover told you too.
- Be afraid to experiment: All too often people are afraid to experiment. Why? Because they are scared of getting something wrong. You may have heard the phrase ‘nothing ventured, nothing gained’? So it’s true. If you don’t try different things, you’ll never know how they feel. So when you’re wearing your t-shirt, or any other item of clothing, it’s all about how they make you feel.
So, when it comes to buying your next graphic t-shirt, try to consider these do’s and dont’s. Graphic t-shirts have been around for years, and have their own history, but the same principle remains – be yourself!